Gas Safety

Seventeen people die each year because of gas leaks and the explosions they cause.

Countless more fall ill because of exposure to a natural gas leak. Exposure to these leaks can cause many different symptoms, both minor and severe.

Still, more people lose their homes to fires and explosions caused by leaks.

It’s important to understand the signs that indicate a gas leak. Knowing what to look for can help you to be prepared to protect your family and yourself in the event of a leak.

Natural gas is invisible, tasteless and has no odor in and of itself which is why the utilities add a sulfur-type compound called Mercaptans giving it that rotten egg smell (eggs contain higher levels of natural sulfur than most foods).  You would never be able to smell a gas leak if it did not contain mercaptans. 

WATER EMERGENCY

NEED-TO-KNOW Information

If you smell gas, there are a few simple steps you can take to assure the safety of your family:

  • DO NOT turn on any lights or electronics or use a match for any reason. A spark could ignite the gas that is floating inside your home.
  • If you need light for visibility, it is best to use a flashlight.
  • Exit the home immediately then...Call 911 and/or your local gas company
  • Notify your neighbors. The leak might be coming from a punctured main gas line.
  • Notify your Property Manager